When it comes to finding the right memory care community for your loved one, questions about the costs and services provided are sure to arise, but, it may be just as important to consider what types of memory care services are available and whether they meet your loved one’s ongoing care needs.
Best Advice: Talk with a Seasoned Senior Living Counselor at Silvergate
At Silverate Rancho Bernardo, our local Senior Living Counselors are trained to help you understand and find the right type and level of care for your loved one. Many assisted living communities offer a special memory care unit (SCU) on a separate wing or floor.
Not so at Silvergate. The Memory Care Suites at all Silvergate communities are located in a dedicated building with a specialized team of nurses, caregivers and staff who focus on the unique needs and care challenges associated with Alzheimer’s disease, dementia and memory loss. Regardless of whether you choose a memory care facility or SCU, common services include 24-hour supervised care, medical monitoring and assistance with daily living tasks, in addition to a comfortable environment that is easy for residents to navigate.
What makes Silvergate Memory Care unique are its industry-leading caregiver to resident ratio, all private accommodations, a track record of successful and proven care methods and a seasoned team of nurses, caregivers and staff.
Important Tip: Take An In-Person Tour of The Memory Care Community
As you search for memory care communities, take the time to tour any facility where you might consider having your loved one live. There is no substitute for a personal, one-one-one tour of the community where you’ll get to see the day-to-day environment first-hand, experience the atmosphere; enjoy the amenities; taste the food; smell the air; relax in the rooms and in the common areas; meet the staff and the residents; and visualize what it will be like for your loved one to live in this unique, high-touch care environment.
Questions To Ask As You Tour Memory Care Communities
Ask plenty of questions of the staff as you tour memory care communities and request to speak to other families whose loved ones already reside at the community. You may want to hear about their experiences to determine if the community is the right fit for your loved one.
Here are some great questions to start with as you investigate memory care communities:
- What level of care does the community provide?
- What type of training has the staff received?
- What is the monthly rate for housing and care? What services does that rate include?
- What model of care does the community follow?
- Are rooms private or semi-private? How do prices vary for each?
- What level of personal assistance can residents expect?
- What is the ratio of caregivers to residents in comparison to the industry standard?
- What is the policy for handling medical emergencies?
- How is the community secured?
- What meals are provided? Are special dietary requests, such as kosher meals accommodated?
- How often are housekeeping and laundry service provided?
- What programs (exercise, physical therapy, social and other activities) does the facility offer?
- Does the facility accommodate special care needs, such as diabetic care, mobility issues, physical aggressiveness or wandering?
- Are residents grouped by cognitive level?
- What is the ratio of staff to residents during the day/night?
- How does the facility communicate with families about a resident’s well-being?
- What is the discharge policy?
Finally, think about talking to friends and others you may know who have gone through this same decision-making process. Their insights can help you in your search and give you much-needed support in what can be a very trying time for your family and your loved one.
Helpful Resource: Silvergate Counselors Can Help With Your Memory Care Search
If you need help finding memory care for your loved one, Silvergate’s Memory Care professionals can help you devise a plan of action for care and often offer solutions you may not have considered. For more than 30 years, the Silvergate mission has been to deliver outstanding care to seniors with the same compassion, respect and affection they would want for their own families. When looking for the finest care available in the most comfortable setting possible, families have long trusted their loved ones to Silvergate Memory Care Suites.
Reservations are now being taken for the limited Memory Care Suites currently available at Silvergate. To learn more about the benefits of Silvergate’s highly specialized approach to memory care, visit this weekend for a safe, private, in-person tour of the all new Memory Care Suites by calling 858-451-1100 or visit SilvergateRR.com.
In case you missed it: